Whether a patient’s surgery is cosmetic or reconstructive, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) is a natural tool that may aid in the healing process and shorten recovery time.
Patients undergoing surgery face many post-operative challenges similar to traditional surgery but may also be effected by specific post-operative challenges unique to plastic surgery.
HBOT is an option that may speed healing while minimizing the effects of these other challenges. The high complication rate of these surgeries is attributable to blood supply disruption resulting ischemia, necrosis, infection, wound dehiscence, and excessive scarring.
HBOT improves this by inducing new blood vessel growth.
Many surgeons now recommend pre and/or post-operative HBOT to their patients in order to enhance their healing, recovery and results.
BENEFITS OF HYPERBARIC OXYGEN THERAPY FOR PLASTIC SURGERY PATIENTS
Clinical studies have demonstrated the following benefits of hyperbaric oxygen therapy for patients receiving plastic surgery.
- Quicker healing
- Less scarring, bruising and infection
ENHANCES HEALING AND RECOVERY
- Reduces inflammation
- Minimizes pain and discomfort
- Reduces swelling
SUPPORTS HEALING AT THE CELLULAR LEVEL
- Promotes anti-inflammatory proteins
- Improved angiogenesis enhancing blood flow to tissue
- Induces fibroblast activation
- Enhances collagen production
REDUCES RISK OF INFECTION
- Elevates phagocytosis to above normal levels
- Enhances microbial activity
- Increases intracellular leukocytes